FacebookTwitterYouTube

Liberia’s Daniel Oduber International Airport is Canadian and American Favorite

liberia-daniel-oduber-international-airport
29 October, 2013

Liberia’s Daniel Oduber International Airport is Canadian and American Favorite

The Daniel Oduber international airport in Liberia has become the favorite for half of Canadians traveling to Costa Rica.Liberia-Daniel-Oduber-International-Airport-263x200

In the first part of the year, 44,000 travelers from Canada landed in the terminal (49% of Canadians who flew to the country during that time). Six years ago, in the same period, 35% of Canadian tourists came to Liberia.

The city of Liberia has also become important for visitors from the United States. Through Liberia enter 30% of tourists from the U.S. In 2007, it was only 20%. Until June this year, 143,000 American passports have been sealed in Liberia.

The figures come from a study done with data from the Bureau of Immigration (Dirección de Migración) and the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT – Instituto Costarricense de Turismo).

The number of tourist arrivals in Liberia grew with the expansion of the new terminal as well as the increase in the number of flights towards North America.

At Daniel Oduber, 17 flights arrive daily. The structure has the capacity to serve up to 1,500 passengers at peak time. The facility, opened in January 2012, has an area of 23,000 square meters on two levels and four boarding bridges.

Looking for sun and beaches.

In 2012 alone, Liberia registered 666,000 passenger entries and exits, 26% more than in 2011. Through this port arrive 20% of tourists visiting the country by plane. Two things drive trips to Guanacaste the most: enjoying the northern Pacific beaches and taking a canopy tour.

Those are the two activities that most tourists marked as their favorite among the options given during the surveys conducted by ICT. In Daniel Oduber, ICT conducts 1,500 interviews every six months. About 70% of those who arrive at the airport in Liberia are a couple or family.

The decision to travel to Costa Rica was also motivated by family or friends who recommended the destination.

For 75% of those who flew to Liberia in 2012, this was their first time in Costa Rica. The other 25% came to repeat the experience.

Article by Voice of Guanacaste

Newsletter

Any questions? Let us know!